International Student Guide


Here you will find useful information that you need for your start at Geisenheim University. What can I organize before starting my studies, what do I need to arrange upon arrival and what do I need to consider when leaving Geisenheim again?

Before Arriving in Geisenheim

Cost of Living

In comparison with other European countries, the cost of living in Germany is around average. This means that they are significantly lower than in countries like Denmark, Luxembourg, or Switzerland, but higher compared to countries like Poland, Czech Republic, and Italy.

On average, students had expenses of around 850 euros per month in the summer semester of 2021. This includes rent, transportation costs, expenses for food, clothing, learning materials, health insurance, telephone, internet, broadcasting fees, and leisure activities.

Here you can find more information about the cost of living.


Citizens from the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Germany. A valid ID card or passport is sufficient.

Students from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, the United States, and the United Kingdom can apply for the residence permit after entering Germany. This also applies to students from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco, and San Marino if they do not intend to work in Germany.

You can use the Visa Navigator of the German Foreign Office to find out if you need a visa.

Here you can find current information on the topic of visas.


Accomodation - General Information

Looking for accomodation:
Start looking for accomodation as early as possible, at least 8-12 weeks before your arrival. This is especially important for the search during the winter semester.

You can expand your search beyond Geisenheim even if you do not have a car. As students of Geisenheim University, you will receive a semester ticket for the train. The university is only a few minutes' walk from the train station. Therefore, it is recommended to search in locations along the railway line. Bingen can be reached by car ferry for free. Even Wiesbaden and Mainz are easily accessible from Geisenheim.

What types of housing are available?
An apartment in Geisenheim costs approximately 450 - 600 Euros per month. A room in a shared flat (WG) can be cheaper. In addition, you can make contacts with other students there and practice your German language skills. Especially for students who have never lived alone in their own apartment before, a shared flat can make it easier to start life in a foreign country. Another cost-effective option would be to look for a "room for sublet". With this type of accommodation, you live in a house or apartment within a family or with seniors whose living space has become too large for them. You have your own room and often share the kitchen and bathroom with the landlords. Student dormitories offer small separate living units for students, and their limited spaces are highly sought after. Often, there are long waiting times for them.

Rental information
In Germany, open-ended rental agreements are most common. However, there are also rental agreements that bind you for a specific period, such as contracts with private student dormitories. The problem with fixed-term contracts is that you cannot move out and terminate the contract prematurely without the landlord's consent. The landlord may require you to continue paying rent for the duration of the contract, and they are not obligated to accept any new tenant you propose. With open-ended contracts, there is always a notice period that must be observed. In addition, a security deposit is due upon moving in, which the landlord holds as security and will refund to you upon your move-out, provided that you have left the apartment without any damages. You can get tips for your apartment search from the International Office. If you feel unsure on your own, a buddy can accompany you to an apartment viewing appointment upon request.


Typical abbreviations

When searching for accomodation, you will often come across the following common abbreviations used in Germany:

1 room with kitchen and bathroom

1 room with kitchen, bathroom and balcony

1 room with kitchen, bathroom and terrace

1 room with kitchen, hallway and bathroom

1 room with kitchen, hallway and shower

Dachgeschoss = attic

Erdgeschoss = ground floor

Einfamilienhaus = single-family house

Doppelhaushälfte = semi-detached house

Built-in kitchen

Shared flat (own bedroom and shared bathroom and kitchen)

KM oder kalt
Basic rent for the use of the accomodation without additional costs

WM oder warm
Warm rent (including additional costs such as waste disposal fee, water consumption, caretaker, usually also heating costs. Sometimes heating costs are not included in the warm rent!)

In addition

möbliert / teilmöbliert
Furnished / partially furnished

Accomodation - Usefull Links

Living in Geisenheim and the Rheingau

Hochschule Geisenheim University's offers for landlords and tenants:

  • The "Wohnraum gesucht" (looking for rooms) online portal run by Studentenwerk Frankfurt: this is a quick and free place to find (and advertise) student accommodation, both furnished and unfurnished;
  • The "AStA Geisenheim: WG- und Wohnungsbörse" Facebook group: run by the university's student organisation, AStA, and is also free of charge; Facebook-Gruppe "AStA Geisenheim: WG- & Wohnungsbörse" .
  • The Schwarze Brett (notice board): this is situated in the Campus-Gebäude on the university campus.

Hinweise für Vermieter: Gesucht werden sowohl möblierte als auch unmöblierte Wohnungen und Zimmer, längerfristig oder auch zur Zwischenmiete. Bieten Sie alles an, gerne auch die im Winter nicht vermietete Ferienwohnung! Nutzen Sie bitte vorzugsweise die Online-Plattformen. Damit erleichtern Sie nicht nur unseren ausländischen Studierenden die Suche. Falls Sie Unterstützung beim Einstellen Ihres Angebots benötigen, wenden Sie sich bitte per E-Mail an den AStA (asta(at) oder rufen Sie uns an unter 06722 502 786 (ggf. Anrufbeantworter). Gerne bestücken wir auch unser Schwarzes Brett mit Ihrem Wohnungsangebot.


Student Accommodation

Student Residence Geisenheim
Studentenwerk Frankfurt
Eibinger Weg 1b
63566 Geisenheim
Application form

G.V. Rhenania zu Geisenheim
Rüdesheimer Straße 16
65366 Geisenheim

Alte Sektkellerei
Gebäude alte Sektkellerei Grundbesitz- und Verwaltungs-GmbH
Rheinstraße 5
65366 Geisenheim

Student Residence „CUBE“ Oesrich-Winkel
KAFEMA Verwaltungs- und Baubetreuungs GmbH
Rohrbergstraße 23
65343 Eltville

Student Residence Oestrich-Winkel
VEGIS® Immobilien
Rheingaustraße 1a
65375 Oestrich-Winkel

Student Residence „Friedrich-Naumann-Str. 1“
LINHARD Verwaltungen GmbH
Friedrich-Naumann-Straße 1
65197 Wiesbaden
Tel. +49 6101 870 721


Max Kade Haus / Student Residence Adolfsallee
Studentenwerk Frankfurt
Adolfsallee 49-53
65185 Wiesbaden
Tel.: +49 69 798 230 22
Weitere Informationen

Student Residence "Junges Wohnen"
Wohnen für Studies (WfS)
Langeooger Straße
65199 Wiesbaden
Tel.: +49 611 724 58 05


Student Residence "Camp Pieri"
Wohnen für Studies (WfS)
Sonnenblumenweg 6-12
65201 Wiesbaden

Health Insurance

You can find all information regarding health insurance for students here.


After Arriving in Geisenheim

Registration at the Local Authorities

Anyone moving to Germany must generally register the new place of residence with the local registration office/citizen's office within one week. To register your residence, you will need:

  • A valid ID card or passport and as a non-EU citizen, possibly a visa
  • A landlord`s certificate ("Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung")

After successful registration, you will receive a copy of the "registration certificate," which you may need, for example, to open a bank account. Even if you move again, you must register again at your new place of residence. The deregistration of your previous place of residence usually happens automatically when you move within Germany.
Important: If you leave Germany after your studies, please make sure to deregister your residence independently to avoid problems the radio licence fee.

Responsible registration offices:

Bürgerbüro Geisenheim
Beinstrasse 9
Zimmer 401
65366 Geisenheim

Bürgerbüro Wiesbaden
Dotzheimer Straße 8
65185 Wiesbaden

Visa and Residence Permit

The visa for the purpose of studying is often issued only for three months. Therefore, please apply for a residence permit at the immigration office as soon as you arrive. If you are not an EU nor EFTA citizen, want to stay in Germany for longer than three months and did not need a visa to enter Germany, you must apply for a residence permit within three months of your arrival. The residence permit can be applied for online. You will then be given an appointment at the immigration office.

The International Office can assist you with questions.


Internet and Mobile Phone

You can either sign a mobile phone contract or purchase a prepaid SIM card. If you are planning a short-term stay, we recommend getting a prepaid contract. Prepaid SIM cards can be purchased at phone shops or supermarkets. Please remember to bring an ID with you to buy one so that you can complete the identification process on-site.

Information on setting up the HSGM wifi access can be obtained from the it-service.


Radio Licence Fee

With the radio licence fee (GEZ), all citizens participate in the financing of public television and radio stations. You must pay the licence fee even if you do not own a receiver (such as a TV, radio or computer). The residents' registration office transmits your data to the state broadcasting organisation. The licence fee is charged per household.

Here you can get more information.


Internet Access on Campus

HSGM Account (
Shortly after your enrollment, you will receive the login details for your personal HSGM account, which allows you to communicate via email with lecturers, university staff, and fellow students. All information from the university will be communicated through this account. If you need assistance with activating your account, the buddies or the it-service will be happy to help. With your login details, you will have access to the HSGM Wi-Fi on campus grounds.

Examination portal QIS/EXA
The examination portals provide students with the opportunity to conveniently and securely connect to the examination management system of HGU via the internet. Here, you can register bindingly for exams and courses, as well as view your exam results, among other things. Explanations and information can be found in the study organization and examination office.

Stud.IP is the learning management system of HGU. It provides students, teachers, and university staff with a communication platform (notice board with job offers, event invitations, etc.) and offers teaching materials.

Student Card

Approximately two weeks after paying of the first semester fee, you can collect your student card at the Student Office, upon presentation of your ID card or passport. The student card serves as your student ID. The student card also functions as a ticket for public transportation (ÖPNV) in the RMV and RNN areas, as well as in transitional areas and for the ferry between Ingelheim and Oestrich-Winkel. All means of transportation included in the RMV can be used, except for IC, EC, IR, and ICE trains. At the same time, this chip card serves as your library card, semester ticket, and electronic wallet for payment at the HGU cafeteria.

With the student card, you can use large parts of the RMV and RNN networks free of charge. To plan your trips, there are numerous websites on the internet that show you public transportation connections, as well as various apps for smartphones. Carpooling platforms are an alternative for cost-effective travel. On different websites, you can find information about people who want to travel to the same place at the same time and form a carpool with them using their private car. Another very cost-effective alternative is using long-distance buses for longer journeys. They are often cheaper than traveling by train or plane.

You can find detailed information about the Geisenheimer student card here.

Payment in Germany

To pay your rent, it is necessary for you to open a German bank account. Larger banks offer free current accounts for students. If you need assistance with opening an account, please contact the International Office. In larger supermarkets and many shops, gas stations, bars, and restaurants, it is possible to pay with a debit card or credit card. It is best to inquire before making a purchase or placing an order. In smaller stores and restaurants, cash payment is usually the only option. You can withdraw cash free of charge at the counters or ATMs of your chosen bank (e.g., Sparkasse: at all Sparkasse branches nationwide). In most supermarkets, you can also withdraw money at the checkout. However, a minimum purchase of 10 Euros is often required. You can also withdraw money from ATMs of another banks, but there is usually a fee for this service.

During your Stay

First Points of Contact

So you are full of motivation and itching to start your course, but before you do, there are still a few important formalities to complete at HGU. The Student Information Center in the Müller-Thurgau-House is your first contact point for organizing your studies. Our staff there will always be pleased to help should you have any questions or problems. You can find the departments and contact persons at the Study Center here.
Contact persons for study applications, subject-specific and pre-study internship advice can be found here.


Important Facts about your Studies

Lectures have started and you’re attending classes as set out in your curriculum. As long as you consult your module guide and/or curriculum each semester and contact the degree program administration and examinations office or your lecturers in the event of uncertainties, your university studies should proceed without a hitch. This also requires skilful planning on your part if you are supporting yourself with a part-time job.

Here you will find information about the timetable.

Each semester ends with an examination period, for which all students must register through the examination portal within a specified registration period. You can decide whether you want to take an exam immediately after completing a module or at a later point in your studies. Please note that you should provide a medical certificate if you are unable to participate in an exam. In case of failure, you have two additional attempts to successfully retake the exam. Here you will find your contacts for study organization and examinations, as well as your curriculum.

For classes with mandatory attendance, please inform your lecturer if you cannot attend a class due to illness etc.. Also, find out about the maximum allowable absences. If you miss too many sessions you will have to repeat the class. You will be informed about short-term cancellations of lectures, rescheduling, or room changes through your Stud.IP account or email. Therefore, please check your emails regularly.

If you think that you are struggling to understand the course material during your studies, please reach out to your instructors and talk to fellow students. If possible, tutoring or additional support sessions can be arranged. Here you will find your contacts for study organization and examinations, as well as your curriculum.


Internship and Employment during your Studies

The following information applies only to students from third countries who have come to Germany for studies and hold a residence permit according to § 16 of the Residence Act. Foreign students with a permanent residence permit do not need a special work permit. Foreign students with a residence permit according to § 16 of the Residence Act are allowed to work, according to § 16 paragraph 3 for 120 full days or 240 half days (as of 01-03-2024 140 full days or 280 half days) per calendar year. They may also take part-time student jobs without any limitation. Student part-time jobs are those located at the university or in the university environment (e.g., academic assistant, positions within the student union AStA). Those who wish to work more than 120 full days or 240 half days (as of 01-03-2024 140 full days or 280 half days) in a job that is not a student part-time job must obtain approval from the immigration authorities. Detailed information on the legal framework for engaging in employment can be found here (publication by DAAD, January 2017) or at the download section on this page.

If you are completing an internship you should be aware that the internship is considered regular employment, even if you do not receive a salary during the internship. Each day of the internship is deducted from the allowed 120 (as of 01-03-2024 140) days. If you have already worked for 120 (as of 01-03-2024 140) days, you will need the approval of the Federal Employment Agency and the immigration authorities for any further internship! An exception applies to internships that are required by the examination regulations, such as the work-related internship at HGU.

How can I find a part-time job
You can find current job offers on the HGU job portal or on the notice board in the cafeteria building and in the institutes. You can also find a few job offers in StudIP. There are numerous job boards on the internet, such as that of the Studentenwerk Frankfurt, which you can use. There you will find both student part-time jobs and jobs after your studies.

Studying with a Family

Child care
While studying for a degree you are entitled to benefits for the supervision of your child in a day-care facility or by a child-minder. HGU has been awarded the state of Hessen’s “Family-Friendly Employer” seal of approval, and is committed to providing a family-friendly study and work environment. We provide an advisory service for students on the subject of childcare. During the summer break HGU runs a two-week childcare program for children aged 6 to 12. The HGU library also has a childrens’ play area.  In the library and the canteen there are baby-changing units in the disabled toilets on the lower floor. For year-round childcare, the town of Geisenheim has a choice of childrens’ day-care centers with various organisational concepts.

You can obtain a list of the kindergartens from the Women’s Representative and from the International Office. Further information (Familien-Servicebüro) "Family friendly"

Career Orientation

The primary task of the Career Service is to prepare students from all degree programs for career entry, through a mixture of targeted coaching, one-to-one counselling, support in approaching potential employers, provision of information about support services, pre-vocational workshops teaching soft skills, as well as excursions and company visits.

Key Topics
Starting a professional career (after graduation or as a student job), analysing your own strengths and weaknesses, job application training, looking for alternative options if study termination is imminent.

Further information on the Career Service

University Sport and AStA

University Sport

HGU’s Hochschulsport offers all students the opportunity to choose a suitable sport from among a wide range of options. The courses on offer provide you with a pleasant counterbalance to your everyday study routine.  In many cases student participation is free of charge: University Sport

AStA Services

The Lädchen is a mini store in the AStA office where students can stock up on a wide range of stationery items at competitive prices. Here you’ll find everything you need for your studies, from pencils to writing pads, folders to drawing pens (particularly interesting for landscape architecture students). The Lädchen is open during lecture periods, at the same time as the AStA office hours.

The AStA also offers a tool loaning service, which you can take advantage of when moving house or if you need tools to carry out repairs.

Medical Care

If you need to see a doctor during your stay, here are the main addresses of doctors, pharmacies, and hospitals.

What to do in case of emergency?
If you are experiencing severe pain and are in a life-threatening emergency situation, you can reach the emergency services for free at Tel.: 112. Please contact the emergency services only if you are in a serious life-threatening emergency situation. Otherwise, you may be fined or have to cover the emergency response costs!

On weekends, holidays, and evenings
If you need a doctor on a holiday, weekend, or evening, but it is not a life-threatening emergency, contact the medical on-call service at Tel. 116117.

Emergency numbers
In case of emergency you can reach the relevant authorities for free at the following telephone numbers:

Tel.: 110

Fire Department
Tel.: 112

Poison Control Center - Hessen, Rheinland-Pfalz: Tel.
06131 19240

Health Dictionary of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Student Services.

Psychological Counselling

There are various counseling services for students aimed at making your everyday life easier and providing support in challenging life situations. Here you can find more information.


Representative for Integration
Moustafa Selim
Dr. Moustafa Selim
Building 5903
Room 04
Phone +49 6722 502 419
Moustafa.Selim(at) Details

Before Leaving Geisenheim

Deregistration at the Local Authorities

Before you depart, you must deregister your residence at the local registration office/citizen`s office. This can be done at the earliest one week before moving out. You will need your passport for this process. Subsequently, you will receive a deregistration certificate, which is necessary for canceling the radio licence fee.


Cancellation of the Radio Licence Fee

The deregistration of the broadcasting fee is not carried out automatically. You need to cancel it before your departure. It can be done online using the following link.


Account closure

Please be aware that you should stop using your debit/credit card approximately one week before closing the account


Cancellation of Memberships

Nobody will be automatically informed that you are leaving Geisenheim. Cancel memberships in Sports Clubs, other clubs and associations.



Rita Broschek
Dipl.-Kauffrau Rita Broschek, M.Sc.
Building 5905
Room 02.04
Phone +49 6722 502 786
Rita.Broschek(at) Details

You can contact the International Office via WhatsApp at +49 170 9902851.