If the nursery, child care facility or school is closed due to infection prevention measures, employees with children under 12 years of age can be allowed to work at home for home care reasons. The home office agreements already made continue to apply.
In exceptional cases, leave of absence from work or service with continued payment of remuneration may be granted for periods outside school holidays or closing times if
- the shared childcare facility or school is partially or completely closed or in restricted regular operation
- the children have not yet reached the age of 12 or are in need of help due to a physical, mental or psychological impairment
- work at home, if necessary with reduced working hours, is not possible
- plus hours on the flexitime account as well as overtime hours have already been used
- alternative childcare options (e.g. emergency childcare, other parent, family care group) are not available on an hourly basis.
The same applies to the care of a close relative in need of care if the day care facility closes due to infection prevention measures or admission is not possible.
If all of the above possibilities are exhausted or are not possible after consultation with superiors, paid leave of absence from work may be considered. In that case, please contact HR & HR Development.
For detailed information, for examples on the conditions to claim child sickness benefit (Kinderkrankengeld), please go to the website of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth: https://www.bmfsfj.de/bmfsfj/aktuelles/alle-meldungen/kinderkrankengeld-wird-ausgeweitet/164738 (information provided in German)
An English-language explanation of the child sickness benefit (Kinderkrankengeld) can be found on the following website: