Many Hochschule Geiseheim University employees are currently working from home and have requested the IT Department to redirect phone calls made to their University extension to a personal number. Not all such requests can be met because redirecting calls to numbers outside the University can engage up to two phone lines at the same time. The University currently has only 30 lines. This could potentially lead to an extreme situation whereby all the lines are busy at the same time when someone on-site has to make a call to the emergency services.
The crisis management team has therefore adopted the following course of action:
- Exchange private numbers within your department to make calls from home directly to the relevant employee.
- Specify a main telephone number for your department from which calls can be redirected externally to a designated person. Decide on which person from your team should be the main contact and inform them that you consent to your private telephone number being passed on to third parties.
- Redirect calls - if required - to the main telephone number specified under 2 above (see below for instructions).
- Try to arrange as much as possible by e-mail.
- If you wish to hold team meetings, you are welcome to use our video conferencing system, which can also be accessed by phone only. You do not need to be on site for this. To do so, contact the IT Department, which will set up the virtual meeting room for you and help you run it.
How to set up call redirection on your internal, central telephone
Leave the receiver on the "hook": Enter * [star key] 414 [main telephone number] followed by the # [hash key] → for example: *414250# to redirect the call to extension 250
Variable call redirection will be shown in the display.
To cancel call redirection
Leave the receiver on the "hook": Enter # [hash key] 44 → #44
Call redirection is now canceled.
The same applies to a main phone. Remember that you need to add an extra zero before the phone number → for example: *414006722502250# to redirect calls to the number 06722502250. This may not work if the main phone is not currently authorized to redirect calls to an external number. Please notify the IT Department if you encounter this.
If you are no longer on-site to set up call redirection yourself, you can contact IT to report the numbers that are to be redirected in your department so that we can set it up for you.