A two-day in-class and onlineseminar on Future Challenges in Wine Industry, such as climate change and sustainable production and management, will take place at Hochschule Geisenheim University in the first week of December 2020. Experts from Hochschule Geisenheim University and University of West Attica in Athens (UNIWA) will talk about the conversions the wine world is facing and the challenges wine professionals will have to cope with in the not too distant future.
The impact of climate change on viticulture and winemaking practices as well as the challenges of the wine market and tourism are some of the topics that will be covered in lectures of the seminar on December 3 - 4, 2020.
Students, scientists and people employed in the wine sector are welcome to participate in the seminar either physically in the classroom HS 32 at Hochschule Geisenheim University (up to 20 participants) or online through a web conference tool (up to 80 participants). Similarly, Greek students and early stage researchers as well as people from the wine sector in Greece will join the event at the same time, either physically in a classroom of UNIWA or online through the web conference tool. Lectures will be held alternately in Geisenheim and Athens and will be broadcasted live.
Synchronous Greek and German wine tastings will round off the program on both days. Participants in the classroom will be able to taste the wines, while online participants will have the possibility to listen to the wine descriptions and learn about the different grape varieties and wine regions.
This event is organised as part of the WOW project, a cooperation between Hochschule Geisenheim University and UNIWA focusing on Future Challenges in Viticulture, Enology and Wine Business (Zukünftige Herausförderungen in Weinbau, Oenologie und Weinwirtschaft), funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) with funds from the German Federal Foreign Office.
If you want to participate physically please register here by November 10, 2020 (HSGM-account required).
If you want to participate online please register here by November 25, 2020. You will receive a link and login password a few days before the seminar.
WOW In-class & Online Seminar - Future Challenges in Wine Industry
December 3 & 4, 2020, 9 am – 5 pm
Hochschule Geisenheim University, Classroom HS 32
LIST OF CONFIRMED TALKS
- Future challenges and adaptations in viticulture, Manfred Stoll, Head of Department of Viticulture
- Climate change – future challenges for organic viticulture, Johanna Döring, Department of Viticulture
- Grapevine pests and diseases under climate change: Challenges for European viticulture, Annette Reineke, Vice-President of Research and Head of Department of Crop Protection
- Impact of Climate Change on Winemaking Practices, Monika Christmann, Head of Department of Enology
- Wine yeasts: past, present and future, Jürgen Wendland, Head of Department of Microbiology & Biochemistry
- Challenges of the Wine Market, Gergely Szolnoki, Professorship for Market Research
- Trends in Wine tourism, Maximilian Tafel, Department of Landscape Planning & Nature Conservation