Organization & Tips – Information point for international students and prospective students

Welcome to Geisenheim University

Our "Organization & Tips" site offers you compact, useful information about studying and living conditions in Geisenheim. Here you can get an initial overview of everything important you should know before applying. Even if you have already decided to study in Geisenheim, you can find useful everyday tips here.

All information concerning your application for a study program at Geisenheim University can be found here.

If you have any further questions, the International Office team will be happy to advise you!




Geisenheim University (HGU) offers

Where can I find information about the degree courses at Geisenheim University (HGU)?

Degree Program Advice

The heads of the different degree programs provide academic advice and will tell you more about the individual course modules, practical training phases and career prospects in your chosen degree course.

Information Events

"Study Info Days" are held in the spring and fall, giving prospective students the opportunity to learn about degree programs and prerequisites.

Further information

Degree courses

Prospective students can choose from a wide variety of bachelor’s and master’s degree courses.

Please look at the application information for applicants with foreign certificates.

Degree program Degree Program type Program start Language of Instruction
Horticulture Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Crop and Horticulture Science Master Full-time Summer and winter semester German
Beverage Technology Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Beverage Technology – Cooperative work-study program Bachelor Cooperative work-study program Winter semester German
Beverage Technology Master Full-time Winter semester (recommended) or summer semester German
International Wine Business (German program) Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
International Wine Business (English program) Bachelor Full-time Winter semester English
Landscape Architecture Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Landscape Architecture – Cooperative work-study program Bachelor Cooperative work-study program Winter semester German
Landscape Architecture and Landscape Planning Master Full-time, part-time program (parallel to working) possible Summer & winter semester German
Food Chain Management Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Food Safety Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Food Safety – Cooperative work-study program Bachelor Cooperative work-study program Winter semester German
Food Safety Master Full-time Summer and winter semester German
Management in the Wine Industry MBA Distance Learning, extra occupational Summer & winter semester German
Enology Master Full time Winter semester (recommended) or summer semester German
Environmental Management & Urban Planning in Metropolitan Areas Master Full time Summer & winter semester German
Vinifera EuroMaster Master Full-time Winter semester English
VITIS-VINUM Master Full-time Winter semester English, Italian
Viticulture and Enology Bachelor Full-time Winter semester German
Viticulture and Enology – Cooperative work-study program Bachelor Cooperative work-study program Winter semester German
Viticulture, Enology and Wine Business Master Full-time Summer & winter semester German
Wine Business Master Full-time Winter semester (recommended) or summer semester German

Financing your studies

How much does it cost to live and study in Germany?

Before commencing academic study in Germany, you should first consider how you are going to finance your studies and living costs.

Many students work part-time to finance their studies and still rely on additional funding from their parents, for example, or from a scholarship.

Funding Opportunities / Scholarships

Scholarships are very sought-after and often not easy to obtain, but it’s worth checking out the DAAD Scholarship Database. As a HGU student you can apply for the coveted Deutschlandstipendium, for example.


What do I need to know about working during my studies?

Many students finance part of their studies with a part-time job, but it’s not easy, and often impossible, to support yourself entirely by this means. There are specific limits on income and working hours for international students. 

Please ensure that you comply with the employment regulations for international students (DAAD, January 2017).

At worst, violating these regulations can result in your being deported from Germany. If during your studies you need help finding a job or would like to apply early for a position for after graduation, please contact the Career Service.

Study Preparation

How do I apply for a place at HGU?

Once you have decided on a degree course, you’ll need to apply by the specified deadline, submitting a complete set of application documents. Prospective students with foreign qualifications should apply for their chosen bachelor’s or master’s degree course via the internet portal uni-assist

Important: please read the application information first!

Pre-study internship

For all bachelor’s degree courses at HGU, proof of completion of a pre-study internship before you commence your studies is a key admission requirement. 

You can decide whether to do the internship in your home country or in Germany. Vocational training completed in a similar field in your home country may also, after prior assessment, be fully or partially recognized as a pre-study internship.

Each degree course has a pre-study internship coordinator (“Vorpraktikumsbeauftragter”) who will assess your internship achievements and answer your questions on internship content.

We recommend that you contact the pre-study internship coordinator of your chosen degree course before you begin your pre-study internship to find out whether your chosen internship-provider is acceptable or whether vocational training completed in your home country can be recognized as a pre-study internship.

Depending on your chosen degree course, the pre-study internship will last between 8 and 26 weeks. Each degree course has its own internship regulations detailing the requirements and the prescribed content of the internship. At the end of the pre-study internship you produce an experience report which you’ll need to submit at enrolment, and which will be assessed by the internship coordinator as to whether the internship was successful and fulfilled the requirements for studying at HGU.

Did you know?

In Germany there is a legal minimum wage. For mandatory internships such as the pre-study internship, which are prescribed by the Assessment Regulations, employers are not obliged to pay a wage. However, many companies are prepared to remunerate interns for their work, but this is a voluntary payment.

What language levels do I need to study at HGU?

If you are interested in taking one of HGU’s many German-taught degree courses you will have to prove your proficiency in the German language.

For the English-taught degree course International Wine Business only English language skills are required. However, we advise all foreign students to acquire a basic knowledge of German to help them cope effectively with everyday life.

Once you arrive in Germany and have student status you can attend a German course or other language course from among those on offer at HGU’s Language Center. You can also take a course at your own cost at an adult education center (Volkshochschule) or with another language-course provider.

Further information on language courses

What do I need to know about visa requirements?

Citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Germany. All they require is a valid personal identity card or passport.

For students from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the USA the following exception applies: they can apply for a residence permit AFTER they enter Germany. This also applies to students from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino, provided they do not intend to work in Germany. Please check Visa regulations (Auswärtiges Amt)​​​​​​​

All other international applicants must apply for their student applicant visa or study visa before they enter Germany. Please contact the German Diplomatic Mission in your home country as early as possible. Under no circumstances should you enter Germany on a tourist visa, as this cannot be converted into a residence permit for study purposes once you arrive in Germany!

Please note: It can take up to 8 weeks for a visa to be issued. You can normally only apply for a visa when you have received an application confirmation (Bewerberbestätigung) from uni-assist, so please allow enough time for your preparations.

The International Office team at HGU offers help and advice so that you get off to the best possible start with your studies.

Information on the legal framework conditions for Immigration and Residence of foreign students and scholarsof (German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD), January 2017

Please note:

If you enter only with a tourist or visitor visa or with a language course visa, you have to return to your country of origin again and apply for the required visa from there! Please also note that you are not allowed to work or do an internship with a student applicant visa!

To apply for the visa you usually need:

  • a valid passport (at least 6 months)
  • the notification that the university has received the application documents from uni-assist in the applicant portal (for the application for a study applicant visa) or the admission letter from the university (for the application for a visa for study purposes)
  • a proof of financing confirming that you are able to provide for your living expenses in Germany during your studies, e.g. in the form of 1) blocked account, 2) scholarship, 3) letter of commitment from a person living in Germany committing himself/herself for you, 4) declaration of your parents' income, 5) support according to the German Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG). You must prove that you have the required minimum monthly financial support and that the first year of study is fully financed.
  • a rental contract or housing letter (issued by the respective university)
  • proof of sufficient health insurance coverage (read all about health insurance here)

The validity period of the visa is purpose-bound and is issued for the duration of 3 months up to 1 year. Within the given period the purpose must be fulfilled - e.g. study preparation measures within 2 years- completed.

The residence permit for studies is limited to the chosen course of studies and university, but can be changed in case of comprehensible reasons.


After arriving in Germany:

A few days after registering your residence (at the Residents' Registration Office or Citizens' Office/ Bürgerbüro), you register at the Foreigners' Office responsible for your place of residence and apply for a residence permit, which, similar to the visa, is purpose-bound and limited in time.

To apply for a residence permit for study purposes you usually need:

  •     Passport, possibly with visa
  •     Rental contract
  •     Registration certificate
  •     Application form (can usually be found on the websites of the respective foreigners authorities)
  •     Passport photo (biometric)
  •     Enrollment certificate of the university (or conditional admission letter if you are a student applicant)
  •     Proof of sufficient financial means for living expenses (proof of financing)
  •     Proof of valid health insurance coverage

The processing costs are approximately 100 euros.

As a general rule, the residence permit is issued for a maximum of 2 years (depending on the validity of the proof of financing and the documents listed above) and must be extended to a maximum of 2 years in due time before the expiration of the period. Please note that the Foreigners' Registration Office may verify that you are serious about your studies and can complete them in a reasonable time.


Your residence permit loses its validity if you leave Germany for longer than 6 months or change university or course of study without consulting the Foreigners' Registration Office!

Organizing your move to Germany

How do I find accommodation?

You should start looking for an apartment or a room in a shared flat in plenty of time before you enter Germany. If your degree course starts in October you need to start looking in July. You should also consider the surrounding towns and villages of the Rheingau, or the cities of Wiesbaden or Mainz. With your Semesterticket you enjoy free travel throughout large parts of Hessen and Rheinland-Pfalz. You can also travel free to Ingelheim and Bingen on the car-ferry.

Living in Geisenheim and the Rheingau

Hochschule Geisenheim University's offers for landlords and tenants:

  • The "Wohnraum gesucht" (looking for rooms) online portal run by Studentenwerk Frankfurt: this is a quick and free place to find (and advertise) student accommodation, both furnished and unfurnished;
  • The "AStA Geisenheim: WG- und Wohnungsbörse" Facebook group: run by the university's student organisation, AStA, and is also free of charge; Facebook-Gruppe "AStA Geisenheim: WG- & Wohnungsbörse" .
  • The Schwarze Brett (notice board): this is situated in the Campus-Gebäude on the university campus.

Hinweise für Vermieter: Gesucht werden sowohl möblierte als auch unmöblierte Wohnungen und Zimmer, längerfristig oder auch zur Zwischenmiete. Bieten Sie alles an, gerne auch die im Winter nicht vermietete Ferienwohnung! Nutzen Sie bitte vorzugsweise die Online-Plattformen. Damit erleichtern Sie nicht nur unseren ausländischen Studierenden die Suche. Falls Sie Unterstützung beim Einstellen Ihres Angebots benötigen, wenden Sie sich bitte per E-Mail an den AStA (asta(at) oder rufen Sie uns an unter 06722 502 786 (ggf. Anrufbeantworter). Gerne bestücken wir auch unser Schwarzes Brett mit Ihrem Wohnungsangebot.


Student Accommodation

Student Residence Geisenheim
Studentenwerk Frankfurt
Eibinger Weg 1b
63566 Geisenheim
Application form

G.V. Rhenania zu Geisenheim
Rüdesheimer Straße 16
65366 Geisenheim

Alte Sektkellerei
Gebäude alte Sektkellerei Grundbesitz- und Verwaltungs-GmbH
Rheinstraße 5
65366 Geisenheim

Student Residence „CUBE“ Oesrich-Winkel
KAFEMA Verwaltungs- und Baubetreuungs GmbH
Rohrbergstraße 23
65343 Eltville

Student Residence Oestrich-Winkel
VEGIS® Immobilien
Rheingaustraße 1a
65375 Oestrich-Winkel

Student Residence „Friedrich-Naumann-Str. 1“
LINHARD Verwaltungen GmbH
Friedrich-Naumann-Straße 1
65197 Wiesbaden
Tel. +49 6101 870 721


Max Kade Haus / Student Residence Adolfsallee
Studentenwerk Frankfurt
Adolfsallee 49-53
65185 Wiesbaden
Tel.: +49 69 798 230 22
Weitere Informationen

Student Residence "Junges Wohnen"
Wohnen für Studies (WfS)
Langeooger Straße
65199 Wiesbaden
Tel.: +49 611 724 58 05


Student Residence "Camp Pieri"
Wohnen für Studies (WfS)
Sonnenblumenweg 6-12
65201 Wiesbaden

Health Insurance

You can find all the information you need about health insurance for your studies here.

Arriving in Germany

What do I have to do upon arrival in Germany?

You’ve already cleared some major hurdles – you’ve found somewhere to live and will shortly be starting your degree course.

Registering your place of residence

Everyone who moves to Germany normally has one week in which to register their new address at the local residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgerbüro). If you move house again you’ll have to re-register your new place of residence. De-registration of your previous address is usually automatic. Once you have successfully registered you will receive a Meldebescheinigung (Certificate of Residence), which you must be sure to keep in a safe place.

The Meldebescheinigung is important for your next step: to open a German bank account, which you’ll need for things such as paying your rent or receiving wages for your part-time job or pre-study internship.

Important: If you leave Germany after your studies, you must personally de-register your place of residence; not doing so could lead to you being invoiced for utilities.

Applying for a residence permit

If you are not an EU citizen, you’ll next need to go to the foreigners’ authority (Ausländerbehörde) responsible for your place of residence, and apply for a residence permit.

If you need help registering your place of residence, opening a bank account or dealing with the foreigners’ authority, our Buddies will be pleased to oblige!

At the beginning of each semester the International Office offers bus transfers to the Ausländerbehörde in Bad Schwalbach. Please ask the International Office about dates as soon as you arrive.

Internet and Telephone

In Germany numerous providers offer combined internet and landline phone packages or smartphone deals. There are tariffs that are subject to a minimum 1-year contract period and other tariffs, such as “prepaid” (you load a certain amount of credit onto the SIM-card and cannot exceed this amount) or “postpaid” (you receive a monthly invoice – these tariffs are available with or without fixed contract periods).

If you plan to stay in Germany for only a limited time and don’t want to take any financial risks, you should opt for an internet, telephone or smartphone tariff without a fixed contract period.  For smartphones there are also tariffs which include a flatrate for internet usage and/or calls and allow mobile surfing. 

Please note: Applying for an internet and/or telephone connection for your apartment can take weeks or even months. A free alternative is to use the local HSGM wifi on the campus.

TV and Radio Licence Fee (GEZ)

In Germany each household is normally charged a monthly TV & radio licence fee of 17.50 €. By paying this fee, all citizens help to fund the public broadcasting services.

You have to pay the fee, even if you don’t own a receiving device (such as a TV, radio, computer).  The Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) passes on your details to the regional broadcasting agency.

Further information (GEZ)

Payment in Germany

In order to pay your rent you will have to open a German bank account. The larger banks offer students free giro accounts. If you need help in opening an account, please contact the International Office.  In larger supermarkets and in many shops, filling stations, bars and restaurants you can pay by EC-card (Maestro) or credit card (usually not free of charge). It’s best to find out which forms of payment are possible before buying or ordering something. Smaller shops and restaurants often only accept cash payment.  You can withdraw cash free-of-charge from the branches or cashpoints of your chosen bank (e.g. Sparkasse: at all Sparkasse branches throughout Germany). You can also withdraw cash from the cashpoints of other banks, but there is normally a charge (minimum 5 Euros).

Starting your studies


Once you have completed the uni-assist assessment procedure and fulfil all the admission requirements, you’ll receive a personal enrollment invitation from the admissions office. The letter of invitation will specify which documents you must present at enrollment.

These are usually the following:

  • Notice of Admission (Zulassungsbescheid) from HGU
  • higher education entrance qualification (original document)
  • original certificate documenting the completed pre-study internship
  • proof of health insurance
  • 2 passport photos
  • valid ID card or passport
  • original DSH language examination certificate (DSH level 2 or higher) or equivalent language qualification
  • original certificates from your home country and, if applicable, the original qualification assessment test certificate (Feststellungsprüfung) or evaluation of your national qualification.

Our staff will then help you complete the enrollment form. You’ll receive a bank transfer form for the first semester fee (currently € 316.70) which you must pay within 3 days. After you’ve transferred the fee it is usually about 2 weeks before you can collect your Student Card from the Admissions Office. Following this you’ll receive your access data for your personal HSGM-Account by mail.

You’ll need to present your enrollment certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) on numerous occasions including appointments with the foreigners’ authorities or when you start a part-time job. You can print out (or send as a PDF) your current enrolment certificate and your confirmation of student status (Studienbescheinigung) yourself via your QIS account. Please remember to pay the semester fee for each semester within the stipulated re-registration period! You’ll find further important information in the Study Guide which is available from the Admissions Office.

Need assistance with enrolment or activating your account? The International Office and the Buddies will be pleased to help.

Who are my contact people at HGU?

So you’re full of motivation and itching to start your course, but before you do, there are still a few important formalities to complete at HGU. The Student Information Center in the Müller-Thurgau-House is your first contact point for organizing your studies. Our staff there will always be pleased to help should you have any questions or problems.

Here are the different departments:

Admissions Office (Studierendenbüro):

Organization and implementation of all central, study-related administrative procedures (e.g. enrolment)

Timetabling (Stundenplanung):

Each semester you’ll receive your own personal timetable

Examinations Office (Studiengang- und Prüfungsverwaltung):

Answers queries about examinations, modules or general questions on degree courses

International Office:

Advice and support for foreign students and applicants relating to study preparation, everyday student life, study or internships abroad and funding programs.

Language Center (Sprachenzentrum):

Provision of foreign language skills

Career Service:

Offers support and advice in preparing students for their careers

What should I be aware of during my studies?

Lectures have started and you’re attending classes as set out in your curriculum.

As long as you consult your module guide and/or curriculum each semester and contact the degree program administration and examinations office or your lecturers in the event of uncertainties, your university studies should proceed without a hitch. This also requires skilful planning on your part if you are supporting yourself with a part-time job.

Each semester ends with examinations, for which all students must register within a specified registration period via the QIS portal.

It’s up to you whether you take an exam directly after you complete a module or later on in the program. Please note that you must submit a doctor’s letter if you are unable to attend an exam. If you fail an exam you have another two attempts. You’ll be informed of last-minute cancellations and re-scheduling of classes or room changes via your Stud.IP account or by email, so please check your emails regularly.

For classes with mandatory attendance, please inform your lecturer if you cannot attend a class due to illness etc. Please also find out how often you are allowed to be absent. If you miss too many sessions you will have to repeat the class.  The practical vocational semester is an important element of the practical training at HGU. It normally takes place between the 4th and 5th semesters and lasts 3 months.

Tip: If, during the course of your studies, you realize that you don’t understand the subject matter, please contact your lecturers and talk to other students. Where possible, extra tuition or tutoring will be arranged.

Punctuality and Reliability

Punctuality plays an important role in everyday life in Germany. This applies particularly to academic study and in the workplace. Classes and appointments always begin at the specified times, so it’s important be punctual if you don’t want to miss the departure for a field trip, for example, or arrive too late for classes or – even worse – exams. So stick to your timetable and ask your fellow students or lecturers about times if you’re not sure. You’ll receive most study-related information in written form, e.g. in QIS or StudIP.

Reliability will also be expected of you throughout your time at university and in your professional life. For many course components attendance is compulsory.

Everyday student life is not always easy, but studying should be a pleasurable experience.Reward yourself for all your hard work by taking advantage of the leisure activities offered by HGU, the AStA and the region.

Start of Lectures

Now the exciting part begins!  During the first week you’ll be introduced to your program and get to know the other students.

Introduction Week & "Welcome Events":

During the first few days of lectures in the winter semester, all new students at HGU take part in introductory sessions organized by AStA (the students’ committee) and the heads of the various degree programs.  You’ll be given basic information about the curriculum, allocated to your various classes and learn your way around the campus and the town of Geisenheim. At the beginning of each semester the International Office offers international students a special guided tour of Geisenheim in English, and invite them to workshops, excursions and events which will help them adjust to their new surroundings and quickly get to know other students.

Degree Program Advice:

To ensure that you are optimally prepared for your studies, it is worth contacting the person responsible for your degree program as early as possible at the examinations office/degree program administration. Here you can ask questions about the curriculum or the module guides that give you an overview of the semester’s academic sessions.  Each semester you will need to complete a certain number of ‘semester hours per week’ or SWS (Semesterwochenstunden – 1 SWS = 45 min.) in order to pass the individual modules.

Your contact person in the examinations office/degree program administration will be pleased to answer any questions you may have.

The modules consist of lectures, exercises, course assignments, practicals and seminars.

Student Card

About 2 weeks after payment of the first semester fee you’ll be able to collect your Student Card from the Admissions Office by showing your ID card or passport. The Student Card is your student ID. This chipcard also serves as your library card, SemesterTicket, and electronic wallet for paying in the HGU canteen (Mensa).

The Student Card serves as a travel pass within the RMV and RNN regional transport network areas, the cross-network zones and for the Ingelheim-Oestrich-Winkel ferry. All forms of RMV transport can be used, with the exception of IC, EC, IR and ICE trains. 

With the Student Card you enjoy free transport throughout large areas of the RMV and RNN regional transport networks.  There are numerous internet sites available to help you plan your travel.  You’ll find all your public transport connections here, as well as various smartphone apps.  Car-sharing agencies offer a cheap travel alternative.  There are various websites where you can find other people travelling to the same place at the same time and then agree to share the journey using a private vehicle.  Long-distance coaches are another very reasonably priced option for longer journeys.  They are often cheaper than travelling by train or air.

You’ll find further information on handling the Student Card and using its various functions here.

Further information (in German): (Mitfahrzentrale)

HSGM account and IT on Campus

The HGU data center is the central service provider for information and communications technology. It operates the communications infrastructure, online service and HGU’s other central IT services. The staff provide support for questions and problems related to these services.

HSGM Account (YourName(at)

After enrolment you’ll receive a letter containing the access details for your personal Hs-Gm-Account, which you can use for email communication with lecturers, university staff and other students. Invitations to university activities and events are also sent out by email, so it is vital that you check your emails on a regular basis or have them forwarded to your private email address to avoid missing any important information! Our Buddies or the IT service team will be happy to help you activate your account.

When on campus, you can connect to the HSGM wifi service using your access details.

The QIS System:

QIS offers students safe and easy internet access to HGU’s examination administration system.  Here you can officially register for exams and classes, for example, or view your exam results.


StudIP is HGU’s learning management system. It provides students, lecturers and university staff with a communication platform (a notice board with job offers, invitations to events etc.) and delivers course material to students.

The IT service staff will be happy to help with any technical questions or problems.

Studying with a family

Child care:

While studying for a degree you are entitled to benefits for the supervision of your child in a day-care facility or by a child-minder.

HGU has been awarded the state of Hessen’s “Family-Friendly Employer” seal of approval, and is committed to providing a family-friendly study and work environment. We provide an advisory service for students on the subject of childcare.

During the summer break HGU runs a two-week childcare program for children aged 6 to 12. The HGU library also has a childrens’ play area.  In the library and the canteen there are baby-changing units in the disabled toilets on the lower floor.

For year-round childcare, the town of Geisenheim has a choice of childrens’ day-care centers with various organisational concepts.

You can obtain a list of the kindergartens from the Women’s Representative and from the International Office.

Further information (Familien-Servicebüro) "Family friendly"

Mentoring Programs

We have set up several mentoring programs to support you as you take your first steps at Geisenheim. Geisenheim students will be happy to help you organize both the study and the off-campus aspects of your everyday life.

Buddy Program:

The Buddy Program is part of the Pre-Study-Project and is designed to support international applicants by offering advice before they come to Germany and individual mentoring once they arrive and during their 1st semester.  Buddies will help you deal with the authorities, open a bank account, get to know Geisenheim, activate your HS-GM account and will also organise excursions. You’ll find all the current activities and dates here.

AStA Mentoring Program:

During introduction week, first semester students will be allocated mentors from the same degree program, who already have several semesters of experience and can give tips on studying and getting to know other students.

Career orientation

As part of the new project: “Geisenheim International – study&more”, the HGU Career Service offers workshops and events to help prepare you for your future career.

The primary task of the Career Service is to prepare students from all degree programs for career entry, through a mixture of targeted coaching, one-to-one counselling, support in approaching potential employers, provision of information about support services, pre-vocational workshops teaching soft skills, as well as excursions and company visits.

Key Topics:

Starting a professional career (after graduation or as a student job), analysing your own strengths and weaknesses, job application training, looking for alternative options if study termination is imminent.

Further information on the Career Service

Other HGU Services (Integration, Advice, Sport & Leisure)

University Sport & AStA

University Sport:

HGU’s Hochschulsport offers all students and Pre-Study participants the opportunity to choose a suitable sport from among a wide range of options. The courses on offer provide you with a pleasant counterbalance to your everyday study routine.  In many cases student participation is free of charge: University Sport

AStA Services:

The Lädchen is a mini store in the AStA office where students can stock up on a wide range of stationery items at competitive prices. Here you’ll find everything you need for your studies, from pencils to writing pads, folders to drawing pens (particularly interesting for landscape architecture students).  The Lädchen is open during lecture periods, at the same time as the AStA office hours.

The AStA also offers a tool loaning service, which you can take advantage of when moving house or if you need tools to carry out repairs.

How can I get to know people?

Our buddies and mentors will assist you in getting your bearings when you first arrive, and through them you’ll start meeting other people.  You’ll also get to know other students quickly in your classes and lectures.  Particularly during the summer semester, the AStA organizes events such as afternoon get-togethers in the “Old Wine Barrel”, semester opening parties and film evenings. You’ll find the dates here.

Sport offers another good opportunity to get to know new people.  As a student you can participate - mainly free of charge - in the University Sports programs.

You can also keep up-to-date on Facebook:

HGU on Facebook

International Office on Facebook

Or you can actively participate in the following Facebook groups, and look up current dates and information about what’s on on campus, or ask questions:

Campus Geisenheim Facebook group 

Facebook Group for international students of HGU

To find out the latest HGU-organized events open to all students, please consult the calendar.

In addition, the International Office ​​​​​​​is always available to answer your questions, deal with your problems and offer tips and advice.

Getting to know Geisenheim and the local area

To help you settle in quickly at Geisenheim we organize a guided tour of the town (in English) at the beginning of each semester. Along with historical information, the tour also provides students with useful tips for everyday life.

Student-organized events such as‘Campus-Rally’, excursions, film evenings, barbecues and parties are good opportunities to get an authentic taste of student life.

For people of all ages the Rhine-Main Area has much to offer. Good transport connections provide easy access to the nearby cities of Wiesbaden, Mainz and Frankfurt, and even Cologne is only a 2-3 hour train ride away. There are cultural events for all tastes. The Rheingau also has its own plentiful selection of cultural and culinary highlights. Take the opportunity to explore your local area, take in new impressions and get to know the locals.

We also advise all English-speaking students to learn some basic German vocabulary in order to communicate in everyday life. In many places you’ll notice that a knowledge of German is an advantage, particularly in contact with older people. This is especially important if you are planning to complete an internship or take up employment in Germany.

See for yourself!

Further information:

About the city of Geisenheim


About the city of Wiesbaden

Counselling services

HGU offers a range of counselling services designed to make everyday life easier for you and support you in difficult circumstances.

Psychological Counselling Center at HGU:

On-the-spot psychological support
Location: Room 00.56 in ZIG (central institute and laboratory building)
Open consultations, Thursdays 17:00 – 18:00
Tel.: 06722-502610 (only during open consultation hours)

Open consultations are not available during the lecture-free period. To arrange an appointment during these times, please contact Ms. Kramer via email.

Further information 

Counselling Services of Studentenwerk Frankfurt:

The Studentenwerk Frankfurt am Main offers a range of counselling options for students with various different problems at its own counselling center. 

The topics covered include:

  • Financing your studies
  • Legal advice
  • Psycho-social counselling
  • Accommodation
  • Looking for employment
  • Studying with children
  • Social issues
  • Semesterticket-Hardship Fund
  • BAföG (in Bockenheim)

Further information on the Consultation Center of Studentenwerk Frankfurt 

Please contact the International Office if you have any problems which are not covered above.