Information on Ex-matriculation

Ex-matriculation means the ending of University membership and takes place when students have completed their studies by gaining a Diplom, a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree. If you wish to withdraw from the University during your course of study (in order to continue your studies at a different university, for example, or because you do not wish to continue your studies), you can apply to the Admissions Office (Studienbüro) for same-day ex-matriculation (i.e. with immediate effect) or with effect from the end of the current semester. Please note the deadlines for reimbursement of the semester fee. These are the 15.04. for a summer semester and the 15.10. for a winter semester.
In accordance with §59 Hessisches Hochschulgesetz (Hessen Higher Education Act), the University will terminate the student status of students who

  • were registered on the basis of an incorrect admission certificate and this certificate was withdrawn,
  • have failed to correctly re-register for the next semester,
  • upon re-registration, fail to provide evidence of payment of their Studentenwerk/Studierendenschaft contributions or other fees due,
  • have failed to pay their contribution to the relevant health insurance provider (Krankenkasse),
  • have failed to pass a preliminary, intermediate or final examination at the final attempt.

You can download the Ex-matriculation Application Form here.

The Student ID Card must be submitted together with the ex-matriculation application form.

Please not that the Application for Reimbursement of the Semester Fee is a separate form and must be submitted separately (deadlines!). You’ll find it here.